Translators-revisers are the stewards of the Government of Yukon’s voice in French. They play an instrumental role in ensuring the public can access accurate and timely bilingual communications.
What to expect in this role
- a great variety of translation challenges – every day is different;
- Working in a place voted as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers.
- a highly valued and dynamic team passionate about its work; and
- a pension, excellent benefits and job security.
What we do
Translators-revisers provide centralized translation and revision services from English to French and occasionally from French to English to client departments. This role also conducts research and implements innovative linguistic solutions in line with the government’s standards and current trends (e.g., plain language and gender diversity inclusion).
Pay and benefits
- Annual salary ranging from $103,153 - $119,579;
- pay grid for translators; and
- see this page for benefits and leave information.
- translates various documents (e.g., news releases, interpretation panels, social media campaigns, websites and information sheets) for numerous client departments;
- revises texts translated by internal and external translators;
- manages translation tools, including machine translation technology;
- provides expertise to develop the “one voice of government in French” by developing and updating the government’s French-language style guide and supporting documentation, including terminology databases; and
- provides emergency translation services during and after regular business hours as required.
We foster a culture of ongoing training to keep current with the translation industry and our clients’ needs. To broaden interests and deepen learning, employees can access Yukon government provided training on topics such as wellness and resiliency, communication and collaboration skills, leadership, reconciliation and First Nation topics, finance and health and safety. Yukon government employees can also access free French language classes from beginner to advanced levels.
- Resume review
- Written assignment
- Reference checks
- Offer of employment
- Bachelor’s degree in translation or related field;
- experience in translation from English to French, preferably under the supervision of a reviser; and
- experience as a reviser from English to French.
Candidates with education, training, and/or experience equivalent to the essential qualifications listed above may be equally considered. The following will be considered important assets:
- accreditation from a nationally recognized translators’ association (e.g., OTTIAQ, STIBC);
- experience using CAT tools (LogiTerm preferred); and
- experience translating or revising documents from French to English.
Work unit profile
The French Language Services Directorate (FLSD) is a team of 25 multidisciplinary and client-focused professionals dedicated to empowering departments in providing services and information in French to Yukoners. We strive to develop an engaged public service that upholds the Yukon Languages Act. We do this by fostering strong partnerships with other departments, setting government-wide directions and developing support programs. The translators-revisers are part of the Bilingual Communications Branch.
For more information on this role, contact email@example.com
If there are no positions visible above, click button below to get up-to-date notifications for jobs you are interested in.